Emergency c section done. Feeling nauseous. What could be the black mass seen in sonogram of abdomen?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Average
Question
I had an emergency csection on 5/28 and for the past two months I'm nauseous all day, every day no matter if I eat and drink or not. My doctor sent me for a sonogram of my abdomin and I noticed that the technologist scanned over an organ on my right side that had a black mass on the screen and when she used the Doppler to see if any soundwave comes back, it was flatlined, no soundwaved returned. What could this mean?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi,

According to your description the possible causes are,

-pelvic inflammatory disease: as your surgery was an emergency cesarean section, there is more chance for infection, pelvic inflammatory disease can affect reproductive organs and can cause endometritis, salpingitis, tubo-ovarian abscess etc,
sometimes abscess when filled with infected fluid/thin pus or localized peritonitis etc may look as echo-free area means as black mass in ultrasound,
PID can present with nausea, vomitings etc,
but usually other features like pain abdomen, fatigue, vaginal discharge etc will also present.

-placental causes: these can range from retained bits of placenta to rare possibilities like choriocracinoma,
in this case fluid filled ovarian cysts can be noticed which will look as echo-free areas.
in this case associated features like pain abdomen, bleeding vagina, non-improvement of uterus post delivery etc can be seen along with nausea.

so you once discuss these possibilities with your doctor and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Emergency c section done. Feeling nauseous. What could be the black mass seen in sonogram of abdomen? 1 hour later
My only symptom is constant nausea all day and night no matter if I eat or drink or no food and water at all for two months now. I have no vomiting, bleeding or discharge. I'm always tired, but that's because I'm caring for a 2 month old baby, working and caring for my husband and older child. Is there any way it's something else, since my only symptom is nausea?
Oh and I have no pain.
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
hi,

if you are having only nausea and tiredness that could be because of generalized weakness, as around one liter of blood loss will be there in cesarean section that can lead to anemia, when post-operative stress and daily routine work, mainly looking after the baby add to anemic features you may feel much tired.
anyhow if you send your ultrasound report I can guide you better.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.