Elevated red hives on neck, face, stomach, groin area & vaginal area, rectal itching. Prescribed prednisone & hydroxyzine. What could be causing this?

Question
I get hives on my face and neck and am prescribed prednisone and hydroxyzine I just broke out with about 38 hives on my stomach, groin, sides, and top of my vaginal area. They are extremely red and raised. I have never had hives in these places before one of beehives on my stomach is actually a collection of about six or seven hives around in a circle what do I do and what could be causing this? I recently had an insurance change so I do not have insurance until May this seems to be an issue that needs immediate attention do you have any advice?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: Elevated red hives on neck, face, stomach, groin area & vaginal area, rectal itching. Prescribed prednisone & hydroxyzine. What could be causing this? 4 minutes later
Recently I have also been retaining weight which is very odd for me and I have had severe rectal itching that on my last visit to the doctor, ruled out hemorrhoids as well as pinworm-could all these symptoms be connected somehow?
Follow-up: Elevated red hives on neck, face, stomach, groin area & vaginal area, rectal itching. Prescribed prednisone & hydroxyzine. What could be causing this? 43 minutes later
I just started getting hives on my right armpit, about 30 minutes after I posted my initial question, I have just taken 8 Benadryl and it has done nothing it's just getting worse an spreading

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Getting hives on various parts of body is a classical allergic reaction. The rectal itching that you are having might be related to this reaction. Since you have already taken 8 tablets of benadryl, you need not take any more anti allergics for now. Taking prednisone and hydroxyzine will help you.
The allergic rashes once they start are difficult to control. These rashes will subside spontaneously once the allergic reaction is over in 7-10 days.
Most simple rashes improve with gentle skin care and avoiding irritating substances. You can help the improvement by
* Avoid scrubbing your skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying cosmetic lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
* Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes.
The patches usually take 5-7 days to disappear.
If the patches become more of purple rather than red then you must consult your dermatologist for proper management.
You can get an allergy test done at your doctor's office for diagnosis.
You also can participate in an elimination diet where you remove one component from your diet for two weeks and then slowly re-introduce it back into your diet to see if you develop allergy symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.