Elevated AST & ALT levels, consumed alcohol before test, taken alcohol more than normal in holidays. Is this cause for high AST & ALT levels?

Just got results back. My AST was 88 and ALT 92. Had drank my normal two to three glasses of wine the night before test. Got the results back a week from the time I took the test. The Doc asked me to come back in for a Liver Function Panel. I did; however, again I had my normal glasses of wine the night before. Results not back yet. Nervous. I've completely stopped drinking and am going to ask for another blood test once I find out about the panel (sometime this week). I'm healthy, drink a lot of water, eat right and exercise at least 4 to 5 times a week. A little under weight for my height, but not too bad. My test came back normal about 1 1/2 years ago: AST 18 / ALT 20. I have not changed my habits. However, over the holiday season I have drank more than normal, but went back to my normal of two or three glasses of wine a night. I think that is what caused the elevated levels, so I have completely quit.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query.

The results are suggestive of hepatitis and with the history of alcohol intake it is most likely alcoholic hepatitis. Alcohol induced liver damage occurs at a much lower dose in women than in men and can develop at anytime.

However even in people who take alcohol other causes of hepatitis have to be considered if there is a suitable setting. The other common causes are - Drug induced, infective viral hepatitis (B & C) and any incidental infections.

Hence stop alcohol, take some antioxidants and good diet. If the altered enzymes persist even after a fortnight XXXXXXX a GP to rule out other causes.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back if you have additional queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Elevated AST & ALT levels, consumed alcohol before test, taken alcohol more than normal in holidays. Is this cause for high AST & ALT levels? 44 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. That is what I am assuming as I have increased my wine intake over the holidays. Depending on the damage, can my liver repair? I feel good right now and plan on asking my dr to retest me next week as I'm sure the results of the last test will be high as well cause I had drank my normal intake before the test, not knowing I had elevated levels.

Thanks for your time/
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 16 hours later
Thanks for reverting.

I would like to reassure you that early stages of alcohol induced liver injury are completely reversible once you abstain. However, this abstinence should persist and maintained over a long period of time.
I would suggest the following:
a. Quit alcohol
b. Eat a well balanced, nutritious diet XXXXXXX in XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fruits.
c. Anti-oxidants which are naturally present in citrus fruits, XXXXXXX tea, apples, berries and nuts.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.