Ask a Dentist   »  

Edontic procedure,root canal,tooth pain,blood pressure,constipation.abscess

Hello, I recently had an endontic procedure to finish a root canal that another doctor left incomplete back in January of this year. Prior to tooth pain, I suffered high blood pressure, light-headedness, constipation and a kind of brain fog...and then the extreme tooth pain came -- found out I had an abscess. I have G6PD and am allergic to sulfa drugs, sulfites in wine, etc. Could it be possible that I am still feeling ill because I might be allergic to materials used by the dentists?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later

The core material used commonly during dental restoration after root canal therapy is amalgam which contains mercury and silver. Other materials used are gold, synthetic resins, porcelain and so on. All of which are not known to contain sulfur.

The core materials are unlikely to cause illness.

The symptoms of illness might have been due to dental abscess and hopefully it is recovering now.

If you find the symptoms persisting, perhaps a physical examination and few blood tests is needed.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow ups.