Echocardiogram showed mild leak in the mitral valve. How to overcome this problem?

Question
I had a echocardiogram and showed I have a mild leak in the mitral valve. Thats because my doctor heard a slight murmur. I was shocked to hear it and very worried. My previous doctor that I went to never heard the murmur which I have gone to for 15 years he just retired. That's why ism am so very upset about it.
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 44 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

No reason to be shocked! or get worried or upset...

This is often an usual finding with age - due to mild degeneration of valve (tissue), calcification of the base (ring) , mild papillary muscle dysfunction (strings) and so on... It is an incidental finding in many and needs no treatment.
It assumes significance only when the leak is severe, ventricular function is reduced, associated with ischemia or wall motion anomalies and so on - if anything, it must have been obvious in the ECHO done already.

You may go for TMT (Treadmill Exercise EKG Test) to rule out ischemia...

You may need Prophylaxis for Infective Endocarditis - that is - you should receive antibiotics BEFORE any surgical procedure or dental extraction / Everybody receives - but AFTER! Here it is given before - so that any bacteria entering blood stream during the procedure can not settle on the valve to cause infection...

That is all! Forget the rest and be your usual self...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Echocardiogram showed mild leak in the mitral valve. How to overcome this problem? 59 minutes later
Thank you so much for your
positive answer. I feel much better. Is it possible that it c
It possible it can be reversed. I go n the treadmill 30 minutes a day and I eat a healthy diet with lots of veggies and fruit. I eat fish, chicken without the skin and once a month red meat. I have a glass of red wine wit dinner. I weigh 110 lbs and I am 5'1". I take very good care of myself. In fact I look 20 yrs younger than my age.

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 26 minutes later

You have exemplary habits!

If you can exercise for 30 minutes on the treadmill, you are unlikely to have important heart disease / even if it there is one, it is not of any significance...

It is so minor that your previous doctor missed it! - some are detectable only at certain times and postures

It may not reverse...It may not worsen too.
You are only 72 years young...enjoy life.

Follow-up: Echocardiogram showed mild leak in the mitral valve. How to overcome this problem? 12 minutes later
You are GREAt!!! I really appreciate it. Thak you so so much.

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 minute later
All the best
God bless you

Follow-up: Echocardiogram showed mild leak in the mitral valve. How to overcome this problem? 18 hours later
I am very concerned I am taking timorol eye drops in the morning and latanoprost eye drops in the evening for Glucoma.The timorol is a beta blocker Which I am taking since last May. My eye doctor made sure I got the OK from my former doctor before I started, He said it was fine that I did not have any heart problems. Unfortunately, he retired. Next month I have an appointment with the new doctor should I tell him about the timorol. Can it affect the mild leak in the mitral valve? I am worried.

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 42 minutes later

Do tell your new doctor during your next meeting.

Beta-blockers HELP the heart! - they are given in Coronary Artery Disease, Arrhythmia (irregular beats), Hypertension (BP), Anxiety and so on...

Nothing to worry

Follow-up: Echocardiogram showed mild leak in the mitral valve. How to overcome this problem? 2 hours later
Thank you so much.
God Bless you Doctor. Wishing you all the Health & Happiness.

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Thank you indeed

We are indeed happy, when we see our patients feel happy
Despite all the odds, that is the only thing that keeps every physician going - now in my forty seventh year!

Have a great evening
God bless you