Early stage of prostrate cancer diagnosed. Advised for regular PSA check ups. Advice?

Dear doctor,

Please find enclosed a report regarding a prostate examination. My doctor says I have a small cancer and require regular PSA check-ups, is my situation desperate?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

You have an early prostate cancer.
Of the cancers, it is a good cancer, in the sense that survival is not much shortened due to the cancer itself.
The option u have selected is reasonable and you can be followed up by the protocol devised by your doctor.
But, if u opt for radical prostatectomy, u have a chance of cure, which is denied by surveillance method.
U have a significant 10 year survival with any method and the doctor would have discussed with u about the same.
It is not alarming, but u need to be on regular followup.
Hope this is of some help.
KIndly get back for doubts, if any.

DR GS, urologist.

Follow-up: Early stage of prostrate cancer diagnosed. Advised for regular PSA check ups. Advice? 9 hours later
Dear doctor XXXXXXX

Thank you for your prompt reply I appreciate your feedback. I am concerned with your estimate of 10 years? If treatment is undertaken with my prostate will I live normally or will their be complications? Also, what do you think of radiotherapy as a treatment option and does it have any negative side effects? Finally, If my PSA remains stable for the next year or so, would I still need treatment ?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 57 minutes later

I understand your query and concern.
In cancers, we talk about survival in years to understand the aggressiveness of the cancer. Prostate cancer is one of the few cancers with a ten yr survival. Most other common aggressive cancers are talked in terms of five or 2 yr survival. So talking about ten yr survival itself means that we r dealing with a less aggressive cancer.
So i hope u understand the logic behind using the 10 number.
If the doctor is able to offer you radical prostate operation with a good survival rate, it can be accepted, as it is the only hope of cure. So in this situation life span is expected to be normal, even though complications need to be understood before surgery.
Radiotherapy is also curative, but it has got more complications than surgery, which will be counseled to u by your treating doctor(radiotherapist). Personally, I don’t advice radiotherapy.
If the PSA remains stable, u have the option of waiting, as it means u have a relatively less aggressive cancer.
Hope I answered. Kindly get back for doubts.