Ear soreness, severe pain. Taking ear drops. Had left ear syringed. When will the pain subside?

Question
Hi. I am a 44yr old female. On Monday I had my left ear syringed for the first time. It was fine but now I have a really sore ear. I went up to the hospital on Friday night and they gave me some drops to put in the ear, but it is now Saturday night and the pain doesn't seem to have subsided. Should I visit the doctor again or will the pain subside (just give it a little more time).
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later

Ear irrigation is not without side effects and can cause pain, trauma to the external auditory meatus and introduction of middle ear infection. Forceful syringing can even cause ruptured ear drum.

In your case, it looks like pain is due to introduction of infection and hence I suggest you to get it checked by an otoscope from an ENT specialist and get it ruled out. You can apply warm compresses on the ear and take Diclofenac or Ibuprofen after consulting your doctor but if there is any ear infection you need antibiotic ear drops and maybe a course of oral antibiotics as well.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Ear soreness, severe pain. Taking ear drops. Had left ear syringed. When will the pain subside? 23 hours later
I saw a doctor today and he prescribed CIPROXIN HC Ear Drops. Should this be enough to get rid of it, or should I also ask for some oral antibiotics? I really want this fixed as my ear is so sore. I can't even lie on it. :-)

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

It is good that you have been prescribed the antibiotic ear drops. If the symptoms and the pain does not subside in 4-5 days, then it is advisable to get oral antibiotics prescribed for a quick relief.