EKG suggests abnormal border line. On birth control pills. Should I be concerned?

I am 38 and on birth control pills. I had an EKG done today and it showed border line abnormal. I was anxious while doing the test. My doctor said we can re do the test in a month or a year but she did not seem worried and she did not refer me to a specialist ! Shall I worry
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later
Old oral contraceptive pills used to be high in estrogen and progesteron which caused serious complications including stroke, heart attack, and blood clots in the lungs. Now a days these pills are low in estrogen and progesteron and safe to use. These pills may cause prolonged qt intervals on EKG and other minor changes which do not draw much attention.
You are recommend to take the lowest dose of estrogen and progesteron for the time that you need it for oral contraception but the cardiac risk should not weigh too heavily when you make that decision.
It should also be kept in mind that taking birth control pills can increase the risk of heart problems if you smoke, have high blood pressure, are obese or have diabetes.
You need not to worry and visit your doctor again after a month or so for re-evaluation.
Hope i have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Wishing you good health!