ECG report showed T Wave inversion in V2 - V4. What does that mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi Doctor
I have recevied my annual Check up report , In ECG report they have written T Wave inversion in V2 - V4, what does that mean.
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 22 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Inverted T waves on their own are not indicative of a heart problem. One common cause of inverted T waves is anxiety!

#1 Inverted T waves or ST depression usually mean ischemia in the area of the heart associated with that lead. In other words, enough oxygen deprivation to cause irritation, but not permanent damage - the beginning of an MI (Myocardial Infarction).

#2 Reciprocal changes are opposite changes in leads across the heart. Anterior leads may show ST elevation, with posterior leads showing ST depression.

A doctor skilled in reading an EKG (Electrocardiogram) will look for other abnormalities in the EKG when seeing an inverted T wave. If there is none, then it is generally not considered a clinical factor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.