During mammogram there was a small amount of bloody discharge from nipple. Should I be concerned?

Oncologist, Surgical
Should I be concerned that during my recent mammogram there was a small amount of bloody discharge from my nipple. My breast was being squeezed by the machine but I really started to panic when the discharge shot out.The result of my test came back ok but I am still concerned about this discharge. I am 58
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 5 hours later
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms and understand that you must be anxious because of them.

Bloody discharge can sometimes be a cause of concern but most commonly it is because of a benign papilloma. This condition is sometimes missed on a mammogram and requires either an USG (ultrasound) or examination of the bloody discharge. The treatment is excision of this lump and it is not major procedure. Bloody discharge can also be because of a cancer but it is not a very common presentation. Plus the fact that your mammogram is normal, rules out the chances of a cancer.

My suggestion to you would be to consult you doctor and have the bloody discharge examined.

Hope everything turns out to be normal.