Dry vagina, loss of sex drive, negative for menopause, anxious during sex and unable to climax.

Question
I'm suffering from a dry vagina and loss of sex drive. I am 44 and have been tested for the menopause (blood test) which proved negative. The dryness in my vagina makes me feel anxious during sex and therefore unable to climax
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 7 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
There are several causes of vaginal dryness which include:
a.     Decreased estrogen levels due to drugs such as drugs used for allergy and cold, anti-depressants and chemotherapeutic agents.
b.     Cigarette smoking
c.     Autoimmune causes including Sjorgen’s syndrome
d.     Douching: Cleaning your vagina with a liquid chemical can affect the chemical balance and cause dryness.
I would suggest the following:
•     Avoid smoking, douching
•     Use soya based products--soya milk, tofu etc --about 25 grams a day (contains phyto oestrogens that act like normal hormones and increase lubrication)
•     You can also try some lubricating creams and gels available over-the counter like ---lady moist twice a day
•     Drink plenty of water
•     Consult a gynaecologist who can completely evaluate you and prescribe vaginal estrogen. This would help take care of the vaginal dryness

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries. Do get back if you have follow up queries and here's wishing you a healthy 2012.