Dry lips, redness around mouth. On prednisone, oravig, no relief. Blood tests normal. Causes for dry lips?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
For about a year now my lips have been drying out and getting very red on and around my mouth. I noticed my saliva has been really thick and I can scrape a creamy substance from all over the inside of my mouth. I have been to an ENT doctor 3 time, MD 9 times, dermatologist 3 times, and the dentist. They all tell me its not thrush and I get the run around. I have been prescribed prednisone, oravig, and nystatin, nothing is working and I need answers. Please help. I do not take acne medicine, I have tryed non florhide toothpaste. Not sure if this would help but my urine has a strong odor and is cloudy but I do drink a lot of water
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

I assume having been to so many specialists you might have undergone some investigations or blood tests. Please let me know the results if feasible. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

The common causes for your symptoms could be Diabetes, sjogrens syndrome, any autoimmune illness like systemic lupus erythematosis, fungal infection, anemia, salivary gland infection,
Less likely causes are urinary tract and kidney disorders, metabolic liver disorders or psychological stress lowering your immunity.

So to come to any conclusion, some of the blood tests ruling out the above conditions might be necessary like blood counts, blood sugar, urine routine and culture, renal and hepatic profile etc.
Kindly let me know if you have done any, so that I can provide you a satisfactory answer.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Dry lips, redness around mouth. On prednisone, oravig, no relief. Blood tests normal. Causes for dry lips? 9 hours later
i have done about 7 - 8 blood test and not sure what they were. I know one was for diabetes. I never seen the results but they told me everything was normal.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

If your baseline blood investigations are normal , most likely diabetes and anemia are ruled out.
But for ruling out autoimmune illnesses or salivary gland pathology you still need to do certain tests like XXXXXXX Anti Ds-DNA, and rarely ultrasound or biopsy of salivary glands.

Also you should get a urine routine and culture and blood renal profile done to rule out pathology of water and electrolyte imbalance.

I would suggest you consult orofaciomaxillary surgeon who is a specialist Ent or dental doctor specialising in any issues related to oral cavity. Even the doctors you have visited are specialists and well versed with dealing in such cases but since you have tried many,you can just give it a try, hopefully something positive might come up.

Please accept this answer if you do not have any more queries.