Dry lips and lip area, itching at times. What can I do?

My lips and above the lip area is becoming very dry. Its happening from almost 6 months and what ever cream i am applying, its not working. I think its due to some infection. It itches sometimes
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Dry Skin
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 55 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Lips become dry due to moisture loss.

Lips are generally covered with a naturally produced thin layer of oil, which protects it from moisture loss.

Sometimes this layer is removed due to excessive licking habit and lips become dry.

During winter season air is dry, which can make lips dry out quickly.

Probably you have developed this condition during winter, and for relief you might be licking it frequently, which is preventing it from becoming normal.

If you are suspecting any infection, should consult a skin specialist for confirmation and treatment. With consent of Dermatologist you can try Surfaz-SN/Quadriderm ointment light application before going to bed for 3 nights.

For repair you can use lip guard/balm which contains medical grade (USP) lanoline.

Licking removes protecting naturally occurring oil from lips.

Thus, if you have developed habit of licking, avoid it completely.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,