Dry, itchy, swollen and burning vagina. Using monistat. Should I consult a gynecologist?

Mar 2013
vaginal issuesI am 21 years old. 5'5 and 150 lbs. I am not on current medications. I have been having some odd problems with my vaginal area. I have recently been more sexually active then usual. My current partner and I have slept together months ago, but recently became involved again. He has no sexually transmitted diseases and neither do I. For the past two to three days, I have had issues in my vaginal opening area and the labials. My partner and I had painful sex about four days ago. I noticed it was making me sore. well, I am now experiencing pain, swelling, burning and itching. I do not have an odor or blood. I have noticed my vaginal opening is dry and appears to have little bitty lumps almost like a heat rash. I am using monistat for itching and burning and it is working. any idea on what this could be? should I go to my gyno?
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thanks for your question on this portal.
There could be a few causes of the problems which you describe, which I will outline below :
1. Condom allergy or soreness / irritation to condoms or products you might be using locally such as jellies/spermicidals/lubricants.
2. Local vaginal infections causing inflammation and hence soreness, pain, swelling, burning and itching. These can range from yeast ( candida ) infection which causes dryness, and whitish discharge , alongwith severe itching. For this, you can use local antifungals such as monistat. However, you should definitely see a gynecologist, who would confirm the diagnosis, and add any oral medication or other drugs as required. Also, get your blood sugars tested, and have a recent screen for sexually transmitted diseases.
3. Other common infections are parasitic ( Trichomonal), where the discharge is greenish, frothy and also itchy. Bacterial infections have a characteristic fishy odour. Your gynecologist will be able to distinguish between these by local examination as well as by sending vaginal samples for analysis.
4. Sometimes, symptoms of burning while urinating, pain in lower abdomen, frequent urge to urinate etc. If this is so, you need to get your urine analysis done for infection, and then take treatment accordingly. Consume lots of fluids meanwhile.
5. Avoid vigorous scrubbing of your private parts, and do not use heavily medicated or perfumed cleansers, douches etc. Use minimally irritant fabrics for local use. Avoid using tampons for the time being. Cleanse your private parts thoroughly with water, without rubbing too much.
6. All sexually transmitted diseases cannot be tested for, using routine tests. Most common vaginal infections are definitely transmitted sexually, hence please have your partner also undergo examination by a Specialist.
7. At certain times of a female's menstrual cycle, due to hormonal imbalance, the vagina and local areas experience dryness and irritation, which also can present this way.
So please visit your gynecologist to confirm the diagnosis and for appropriate prescription.
Feel free to ask for further clarifications.