Dry dark patch on buttocks, UC remission. Cause and treatment?

I have two dark patches of very dry skin on my buttocks? What could be the cause and how do I treat it? I am A 50 year old female, 5'6'', 128 lbls. I have a history of UC, now in remmission.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Dry Skin
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

You have two isolated patches of dry skin on your buttocks and a past history of ulcerative colitis. Keeping these things in mind, two possibilities are there which need to be ruled out:

1)     The first possibility is of psoriasis skin that causes red, dry and scaly patches to appear on different body parts and buttocks is one of the commonest areas. It is thought that psoriasis occurs when the immune system overreacts, causing inflammation and flaking of skin. Medical research has proposed a relation between autoimmune diseases like ulcerative colitis and psoriasis and patient with ulcerative colitis may have posriasis.

2)     The second possibility is of eczema skin which is a form of dermatitis skin caused by allergies and causes itchy, dry skin which looks like a dried river bed.

The treatment of eczema is topical steroids and plenty of emollients. Treatment options for psoriasis include Ointment and creams containing coal tar, dithranol (anthralin), corticosteroids like desoximetasone, vitamin D3 analogues (for example, calcipotriol), and retinoids,Psoralen+UVA and PUVB therapy.

You can start applying a mild steroid cream after getting the patches examined from a dermatologist. If needed he may do a biopsy skin also.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.