Drug interaction with licorice and warfarin. Problem with potassium?

Drug interaction with licorice and warfarin
Is there a problem with potassium?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 37 minutes later

Thank you for choosing us.

Commenting on the first part of your query, I am not sure whether you have experienced a drug reaction already or if you are inquiring about it. But, let me inform you that the use of licorice and warfarin is not recommended.

Warfarin is prescribed in individuals who are either at a high risk of clot production or have other medical conditions. Licorice inhibits the action of warfarin and can thus risk clotting.

Now coming to the second part of your query. Licorice causes the decrease in potassium levels in the body, by increasing its excretion (removal) from the body. So other medications that can promote the excretion of potassium from the body are used with caution while on licorice.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion and contact me in the future at: WWW.WWWW.WW
Best wishes.