Driving under the influence. Diagnosed with a low thyroid level. Any effect on blood alcohol content?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am defending a DUI. I only had two quick beers in less than an hour. I was diagnosed with a low thyroid level. Could this effect my bac level?
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 35 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking.

It does not affect your alcohol level, while it affects your brain function in the same way that alcohol does.

Low thyroid functioning slows down all the processes in the brain including you reflex time and also concentration.

You may claim that it has contributed to your aberrant brain function at the time of driving and it has been subtle until now (after talking with your lawyer about it).

It may also cause low heat production in the body, so you may claim that you felt really cold (more than usual) and you had to drink a little bit to feel normal while you did not know what exactly had affected your body.

I hope it works for your condition. I wish you a good health and feel free to ask me any other question.

Follow-up: Driving under the influence. Diagnosed with a low thyroid level. Any effect on blood alcohol content? 2 days later
Would my medicine effect me in any ways

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 2 hours later

Which medicine are you referring?

Please do mention what medications you are on with the dosage and course advised.

Since when did you start the medication?

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Driving under the influence. Diagnosed with a low thyroid level. Any effect on blood alcohol content? 21 hours later
Levothyroxine 100 mcg 2 years ago

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for asking. If you were not taking the medication at the time of driving, it can definitely affect your driving especially if you have discontinued the medication with your doctor's advice. You may defend in a way that doctor told me not to take it since the thyroid works normal and if you have low thyroid function at this time, you may defend that you have become hypothyroid again without knowing that.
Feel free to ask any other question.