Drinking soda pop causes increased respiratory rate, heart racing, shaking hands, painful tightening of muscles.

I rarely eat any sugar exspecially on an empty stomach. When I drink a soda pop the sugar hits my stomach and feels like ball. Then my breathing rises and I pant like a race horse. My heart races and hands shake. Then my muscles tighten up in my shoulders with restrictive pain. I have to stretch out and drink water to dilute.

I have had all the blood test and I am in great shape. As I said I don't eat very much sugar, probably 1 soda pop a year because it makes me feel so sick.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 8 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Does this happen only when you drink Soda pop?
2.) Are you Diabetic or Hypertensive?

Your History says you develop Tachypnea (Increased Respiratory Rate) due to that fizzy drink which contains Carbon dioxide and caffeine. This Gas builds up inside your body and starts circulating in the Blood. Your Brain recognizes this as a Danger to your Body and activates the respiratory center, so that you take more of Oxygen and remove carbon-di-oxide which you see it in the form of panting and Muscle stiffness.

I would suggest, Kindly stop drinking such Fizzy drinks in the future, and this is the remedy to your Problem.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Avoid high calorie, caffeinated foods items and drinks.
3.) Drink plenty of water.
4.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
5.) Avoid alcohol and smoking, if you do.
6.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Drinking soda pop causes increased respiratory rate, heart racing, shaking hands, painful tightening of muscles. 15 hours later
I am not Diabetic or Hypertensive.

And this doesn't just happen with just soda pop so it is not just carbon dioxide build up.
Soda pop can make it happen the quickest.

If I hadn't eaten all day and sat down an ate 5 scoops of ice cream it would happen. Or a ton of fruit. I elimitated sugar from my diet years ago.

I do have alittle bit of asmtha, but it is rarely active too much sugar will will activate it.

I can eat a meal and have a piece or two of candy after it on a full stomach without any issues every now and then.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.

You haven't mentioned in your first query,that your symptoms appear with other food items as well.

Your follow up History suggests you have Food Intolerance and Food Allergy. It can occur with any food item and it can also occur after eating certain fresh fruits and vegetables. These foods contain substances similar to certain pollens. Eg: watermelon contains substances similar to ragweed pollen and apples have allergens similar to tree pollen.

Food allergies arise from sensitivity to certain proteins in food. They develop after you are exposed to such protein that your body thinks is harmful, As a result allergy symptoms occur.

The Main line of treatment for this is avoiding Triggering Food Items. Speak to your Doctor and a Dietician so that they may design a Meal Plan for you so that you are not devoid of necessary nutrients. Learn which foods and in what amounts cause you to have symptoms and limit their intake to amounts you can handle.

Follow the advice which I had given, stick to your treatment plan from your Doctor and go for regular follow up.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.