Done with total abdominal hysterectomy. Have pain in pelvic area. Suggestion?

Mar 2016

I had XXXXXXX XXXXXXX 21. My first two were fine. Third week I started walking doing some shopping light house work. The weekend before went to see my grandson five hours away with little walks. Then on Friday and sat i felt bloated and pressure on mt stomach and pain in my lam pelvic area. Spent most of the day laying down. Did I overdo it. And what kinds of things should i being the fourth week I hav a big family reunion in two weeks out of town. I want to feel better then.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

Following XXXXXXX (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy), it is seen that complete recovery along with strengthening of abdominal wall muscle usually takes place within 6-12 weeks. In this time period, you need to avoid heavy work or strenuous activity or lifting heavy objects/ much bending and take prescribed medication only.

Above said clinical features may be associated with your activity or indigestion problem. Here, you can take anti-spasmodic medication with antacid to get temporary relief. Though, I like to suggest one follow-up visit to your gynecologist after 1 week for overall health checkup and complete evaluation.

The following things may be helpful in your case:

1) Take healthy diet with more vegetables and iron supplements. Drink more water or fluid.
2) Do light exercise and walk for 1/2 hr daily after complete recovery or 6 weeks time period.
3) You will continue to take anti-hypertensive medication with periodic checkup for BP.
4) Hot compression is quite useful for backache & relaxing the abdominal wound area.
5) You will keep bowel habit regular and may use some laxative to reduce strain.
6) Maintain genital hygiene properly and always take sound sleep. Avoid mental stress.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for understanding and you can join the family reunion comfortably. Feel free to ask any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Done with total abdominal hysterectomy. Have pain in pelvic area. Suggestion? 2 hours later
What kind of activities can i do in week four. Can I walk for 30 minutes. How much resting should i do. People are telling me different things. I take Advil
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query. Followings are my comments:

1) You can do all household activities but try to avoid lifting heavy objects or bending too much. These may aggravate abdominal pain and pressure over stomach region.

2) You can walk XXXXXXX 15-30 min in the fourth week of recovery period. Too much walking is not advisable up to 6 weeks.

3) You need adequate bed rest up to 8-10 hrs daily. You would follow previously mentioned suggestive measures for healthy life style.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Be well and stay healthy. Good luck.

Dr Soumen