Done with lumpectomy re excision. Developed cellulitis of the breast and taking levaquin and doxycycline. Any abnormality? Treatment?

Dec 2012

After lumpectomy re-excision, path report stated:" extensive involvement by previous excision site characterized by. A lymphohistiocytic and eosinophilia inflammatory infiltrate with small collections of giant cells. 2 weeks later I developed what the Dr called cellulitis of the breast and have been on levaquin for 10 days, poor improvement, doxycycline for 10 days with some improvement and am now on another 10 days of doxycycline. I just received the path report, could this be something other than cellulitis, and what is needed to treat it?
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Well the results only show signs of inflammation

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

When the skin is infiltrated by lymphocytes and histiocytes (activated macrophages). These are immune cells (white blood cells) that act in response to defend the body from disease by killing pathogens, unrecognised/foreign bodies and tumor cells. Well your doctor could have been right after examining you that you have developed a post-lumpectomy cellulitis which is a likely cause. If the laboratory had suspected a breast cancer they would have mentioned it in the their results, so I do doubt if you are having a cancer but I am must agree with your doctor that there is a kind of infection or inflammation affecting your breast.
Well certain antibiotics might be resistant to the type of germ causing this. Associating an antiinflammatory such as prednisone to your antibiotics might prove to be more beneficial. Antibiotics such as cloxacillin, azithromycin, erythromycin might be more useful in this situation given their spectrum of action.

Hope this helps clarify you and let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Nsah