Done with brain MRI. Diagnosis of demyelinating disease. Suggestion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
We had contact before about the brain MRI. I have done a new brain MRI with contrast and the report says: There are areas of decreased signal that do resemble black holes and may be consistent with the diagnose of demyelinating disease.

It is more on the right side, could this be the reason that my pain is mostly on my left body side?

Thank you very much
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 24 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

You are correct. Right side of brain sends nerve impulses to the left side of body. So, your left sided symptoms are related to the lesions on the right side. So, your pain is most likely related to them.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Done with brain MRI. Diagnosis of demyelinating disease. Suggestion? 1 hour later
Could you possibly give a comment to the MRI text:

"There are areas of decreased signal that do resemble black holes and may be consistent with the diagnose of demyelinating disease."

What does this mean? What treatments or cures are possible?
I take Gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day, is there another way to "tackle" the problem?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

The MRI findings represent old lesions (diseases) and are non specific. The most common underlying causes for these findings are:
1. Demyelinating illness such as multiple sclerosis.
2. Ischemia due to lack of blood flow to brain in a person with high BP or sugars usually.

Your treatment at present seems to be adequate. If your pain does not respond to gabapentin, then you could take pregabalin.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Done with brain MRI. Diagnosis of demyelinating disease. Suggestion? 4 minutes later
Thank you very much!

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Thank you and take care.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)