Done with USG. Taking Dubagest and Folmet. Have history of jaundice and have fatty liver. Does progesterone affect liver?

Question
Hello Ma'am,

I had some communication with you about 4 days back. After that, I got my USG done and this time the doctor could spot the baby and hearbeat at 114 per minute.

She subscribed Dubagest SR 300 once a day and Folmet once a day till 3 months.

My question is :

1. I have a history of jaundice and have fatty liver. I suffer from indigestion sometimes and have taken homeopathic treatment for the same in the past. I have been taking Duphaston and Susten for 15 days now. And I can feel a sharp pain on the right side abdomen (just below rib). I am scared is the progesterone affecting my liver?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
XXXX
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can affect; better be vigilant.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. Banerjee,

Firstly, congratulations on a successful pregnancy. I am very happy for you.

Estrogen and progesterone are shown to have an impact on the fatty liver. As you are experiencing pain, you should have an abdominal sonogram to rule out hepatomegaly. Please inform your consultant of your medical condition so that further precautions can be taken. Though intake of progesterone is necessary in your case, the form of medication may be altered to patches and so on instead of oral route to lessen the effects.

I would also ask you to see a gastoenterologist who specializes in liver disorders (you have a good number of them available in Hyderabad) for further management along with your pregnancy. When the medical condition is managed along side the pregnancy, complications are less likely to occur during the course.

Hope I have answered your query. Please contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Done with USG. Taking Dubagest and Folmet. Have history of jaundice and have fatty liver. Does progesterone affect liver? 11 hours later
Thank you Ma'am. I will follow up with the doctor.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wishing you all the very best in life.

Detailed Answer:

I am very sorry for the late reply. It was inevitable as we are going through a power blackout throughout the day. Please do follow up with the doctor and let them do the needful. Proper monitoring is sufficient to give success. You can contact me any time for further information. I will be available to help.

Wish you good luck and good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Done with USG. Taking Dubagest and Folmet. Have history of jaundice and have fatty liver. Does progesterone affect liver? 15 hours later
Thank you Ma'am,

It is very helpful of you to reply to my queries and being so patient with me. I enquired with the doctor and she shifted me to Susten VT 200 tablets, twice a day, to be inserted. Is there any difference between normal Susten 200 tablets which I had taken before? I am asking because of the price difference between the two.

Thanks,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These are vaginal tablets.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ms. Banerjee,

Good Morning and thanks for writing back.

Susten VT tablets are meant for vaginal use. As said, you can have dual benefit of having the needed progesterone and avoid the systemic side effects in view of your fatty liver through this route. As it is a vaginal preparation, the cost of the preparation is higher. While inserting the tablet, please read and follow the instructions carefully and in the event of any undue symptoms, contact your consultant immediately.

Hope I succeeded in answering your query. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be happy to help you.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Done with USG. Taking Dubagest and Folmet. Have history of jaundice and have fatty liver. Does progesterone affect liver? 4 hours later
Thank you Ma'am. This is very helpful.

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Always welcome

Detailed Answer:

You can contact me anytime for further information. I will be happy to help you as much as I can. God Bless You.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Done with USG. Taking Dubagest and Folmet. Have history of jaundice and have fatty liver. Does progesterone affect liver? 3 days later
Hello Ma'am,

I have one question. I had visited Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX Healthcare, based upon your recommendation. But she has not started me on any iron or calcium supplements.

I am lactose intolerant and cannot drink milk without excessive bloating and gas,and these days, I do not feel like having even curd.

I am getting scared that calcium might not be sufficient for my baby's bone development.

Please could you suggest if it is safe to have calcium and iron supplements. If yes, which brands can I start?

Thanks,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Calcium and iron are given after 12-14 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. Banerjee,

Hope you are doing well.

Calcium and iron supplements are to be given at the onset of second trimester or after 12-14 weeks. If you cannot tolerate plain milk and curd, you can try diluted forms like buttermilk made from low fat milk and other milk products taking care not to ingest more fat. Many brands are available in the market and many of them are good. The essential factor is the tolerance and the bio-availability of the nutrient from the preparation. You can ask your doctor at your next visit, there is no hurry now.

Hope your query is clarified. Please get back if you need any more information. I will be ready to help.

Good luck.

regards,
Shanti.V.