Done semen analysis. Suggested medication and diet?

Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 34 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information. I have gone through the semen analysis report, thank you for sending it across.

Looking at the report, the total percentage of motility and abnormal morphology seem to be the center point of discussion of your concern.

What does total % motility mean when sperm count/sperm conc is normal ?

Well, that means you have a condition where in 39 sperms out 100 are moving as supposed to normal where 50 of them ideally should in the general population average in order to maintain a healthy reproductive continuity.

You can perhaps read about the same at our site already explained in detail - WWW.WWWW.WW
What does abnormal head morphology mean and why is the normal morphology count less than normal ?

- It does not mean you are infertile, but just that chances are less with the normal way.

And, one sperm test cannot be the final for your doctor, one would ideally test 2-3 times more and compare the findings, and then plan the future options.

Whatever be the reason of your motility/morphology issue, the bottom line is that you still have the Invitro Fertilisation (IVF) or intracytoplasmic sperm injection option to lead to pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, you should not hesitate to contact my attention email YYYY@YYYY

Follow-up: Done semen analysis. Suggested medication and diet? 6 hours later
Is there medications to take to improve the motility or/and abnormal morphology?
I never spent more than 2 months with my wife, we are in different countries. is my result case that bad? should I try to spent more time with her or my case is that bad and I should just do IVF(I don't want to do artificial things)?
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later

There are no definite medications that are developed yet which can improve the sperm count or the abnormal shaped sperm.

In some, sperm problems are due to a permanent condition — such as a testicle abnormality present at birth — and can't be treated. In rest, sperm quality improves when an underlying condition gets better. Some common causes of abnormal sperm that are temporary or may be reversed with treatment include: Enlargement of veins within the scrotum, High fever, Use of illegal drugs, Infection etc.

Even with abnormal sperm morphology, motility problems or a low sperm count, pregnancy may still be possible. You may need to first try with your partner, regular sexual intercourse for at least 1 year (which would of course require you to say with her) before moving on to other options like IVF. .

Hope this answers your query.