Done inguinal hernia surgery. Medication complete. How careful should I be with movements?

I underwent surgery for inguinal hernia on 20-08-2012. (meshoplasty)I was inserted with a mesh at left side groin area. medication completed. How should i be careful with movements? Surgeon allowed me to drive car one week after surgery. How long I should be careful? How long I should be away from family life? Pls suggest me do's and dont's. When can I start Yoga or other exercises. My office is in second floor and some times i may need to take stairs. Left testical appears to be little swollen when I asked surgeon abot this he said it may be there for upto 6 months.At times still i feel some kind of burning and little pain in the area and surgery place.Pls help in this dilema
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 34 minutes later
Although your treating surgeon must have explained you but still I would recommend following things.
 Precautions during the inguinal hernia surgery recovery is very important for making sure that your body gets back to its natural shape at the earliest.

For the initial days after the inguinal hernia surgery, make sure that you take sufficient amount of rest for adapting to the situation. Further, you need to make sure that you do not light heavy weights for at least 3 to 4 weeks after the inguinal hernia surgery as this might disrupt the inguinal hernia repair mesh which has been placed in your body.
Talk to your doctor and wear a truss before starting your light exercises.
 After the initial couple of days, you need to get a bit active and engage in light exercises at least. This would ensure that the recovery from inguinal hernia surgery also lets you strengthen the muscles which had led to the condition of inguinal hernia earlier. 
 Also, make sure that you keep the operation wound clean at all times to ensure that an infection does not set in during the inguinal hernia surgery recovery period.
As for future sexual contact, it would be very unlikely for a hernia to affect a man's ability to maintain an erection or to achieve orgasm and ejaculation, as it does not distort or compress the blood vessels or nerves that control penile erection and ejaculation.You may resort for sex after 2 weeks.
You may do yoga after a month but gradually.
You may climb the stairs after initial period of rest.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck