Done hernia repair in belly button, have cramp on right side, indentation near operated area. Normal?

General Surgeon
I had a hernia repaired 8/15 in my belly button with mesh. The site looks and feels like its heeling up nice but I have a sometimes constant cramp on my right side and a indentation just to the right of the operation . Is this normal and will it go away thank you

Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later

What type of mesh have you had applied (partially resorbable or non-resorable)?

Mesh is basically an artificial element. It will always cause an irritation of the surrounding region of human body. In the early time after a surgery (1 month) it will cause pain, strange (artificial like) feeling and cramps (when it has been applied in the neighbourhood of nerves or muscles) as well.

This should last about 1 month, however in some persons it lasts for about 6 month (as it is a time of stitches and mesh absorption). I do not know how long it is after the surgery, but if your scare looks normal, and there are no leakages from it, you are not suffering from fever, your symptoms should go away.

If it`s more than 6 months, there might be another reason of cramps, like ions shortage (especially magnesium, calcium) so you can try to add some ions supplements to your diet.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further question.