Done blood test. Do I have to take medicines? Is Atrolip sufficient?

My tests early morning after a cup of tea were as follows RBSugar 125 Serum Cholestrol 230, Trygliserides 330, HDL Cholestrol 38, LDL 126, TC/HDL 6.1 Serum Bilirubin 1.10,Direct 0.44, SGOT 28,SGPT30, ALKALINE PHOS 56, SERUM PROT TOTAL 6.6 ALBUMIN 4.00 GLOBULIN 2.6, A/G RATION 1.5:1 UREA 30 CREATININE 1.00

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query and sharing your reports in detail.

I think you wanted to ask whether only Tablet atrolip F is sufficient or not.

After going through the reports there in only one area of concern, that is your raised lipids.

Rest of the reports seems to be fine.

Atorlip F is combination drug which contains Atorvastatin and Fenofibrates.

You need to take this regularly. This drug will take care of all the lipids which are not normal.

Along with this drug you have make some changes in life style.

Please try to follow healthy life style like,

1. Control your diet. Avoid foods high in fat. You need to plan your diet well and with the help of your doctor or dietician please prepare a chart of the foods to be avoided.

2. Regular exercise: This is a must along with any medicine. You need to do some exercise or walking for minimum 30 minutes/day on most of the days of the week. If you are not doing it at present then start slow and then built up the time and intensity.

3. Regular follow up with your doctor. You need to control your blood pressure and make sure it stays in normal range.

Do not stop the drug on your own. Repeat the lipid profile and SGPT (liver enzyme) every 3-6 months as advised by your doctor. When you are on cholesterol lowering drugs monitoring of this SGPT is also important.

Please discuss with your doctor and get your post lunch sugar done if not done already.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing you best of health.

Follow-up: Done blood test. Do I have to take medicines? Is Atrolip sufficient? 21 hours later
Dear Doctor

Thank you for the Reply. I appreciate the diagnosis & suggestions. I have one more doubt. Is Atorlip F bad for Liver. If so is there a better alternative to bring down my Trygliserides. After Medication, When my trygliserides go down my suger goes up? What is the reason? Can I take ATORLIP F only on alternate days to reduce the dosage? I drink occasionally. Is it very harmfull? THanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 22 minutes later

Hi,Good to hear from you again.

There is nothing to scare about the drug. It is a very good drug and extensively used and studied world wide. Only thing you need to look for some possible side effects.

Bringing down triglycerides will not raise your blood sugar. On the contrary when the sugar is high the lipid metabolism in body gets disturbed.

Please follow the good life style measure suggested and take the drug as prescribed only. There are no concrete scientific reports suggesting effectiveness of alternate day drug regime.

Please do not worry, just live a healthy life and you will not have major health implication.