Done abortion. Had LH surge. On nuvaring. Is Nuvaring working currently?

Question
I had an abortion 2 1/2 weeks ago.I had an LH surge today and I've been on nuvaring 2 weeks. I was told nuvaring starts working within 7 days.Does that mean nuvaring isn't working?
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 13 minutes later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

During the menstrual cycle the effective days for conception are the the mid 7 days that is the 7th day after the periods ends. The nuvaring is used for 3 weeks and one week is spared which the week of menstruation. The rings starts working after 7 days as it slowly releases progesterone and estrogen which have combine placebo effect till the 7th days thus it does not mean that it is not working. It maintains the levels till the 7th days upto which is required.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Done abortion. Had LH surge. On nuvaring. Is Nuvaring working currently? 7 minutes later
So having an LH surge on nuvaring is normal?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 7 hours later
Having LH surge signifies the nuvaring is active. At the time of menstruation the FSH stimulates follicular growth which rises the estrogen levels which eventually rise the Leutinizing hormone resulting in ovulation and hence LH surge.

In simple words LH surge is based on the three phases of the menstruation especially ovulation phase which you can say it is normal on nuvaring.

Hope this explains your answer, If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks