Does weight gain lead to knee pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, I have some pain in my right knee... I understand it could be because of my weight and currently I have been preparing for half marathon which might have strained it out. This would usually disappear within couple of days but this time there is still pain. I can send you the photos with the exact location where it pains. I wanted to know if it is only due to weight?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Arthritis

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 17 hours later
Brief Answer: It may not be only due to increase in weight Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. It may not be only due to increase in weight. Excessive weight causes strain on knee but as you are runner there can be associated ligament sprain/tear leading to pain. Use ice packs to reduce swelling, inflammation and pain. Physiotherapy with ultrasound and Tens will help you, For early healing you can take Tab celin [vit C] and antioxidant with anti-inflammatory [Tab enzomac plus] If pain persist then you may need to do MRI again to see for any functional defect. If required MRI knee can be done and if there is destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done. Yes you can send photo to show site of pain. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: Does weight gain lead to knee pain? 1 hour later
Thank you sir for the reply. Can I take those suggested medicines on regular basis or whenever I have pain? If at all there is ligament or any related injury, how much recovery time would be needed and can I get back to my sports activity after the treatment without any issues? Attached is the photo with mark where the pain resides. Regards Prasad

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Explained below Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX You can take tab celin regularly ,other when you have pain. Regarding recovery from ligament injury it depends on which ligament injured. Meniscus injury heals early,cruciate ligament takes longer time. Your photo indicate pain on lateral side,which may be due to lateral meniscus injury or excessive lateral pressure syndrome which is common in athletes. But site of pain does not give any accurate diagnosis unless clinically examined. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to rate this at end of discussion. Wishing you good health. Take care.