Does the generic brand of bactrim sulfameth affect the birth control implant Nexplanon?

Question
does the generic brand of bactrim sulfameth/trimethoprim affect the birth control implant Nexplanon?
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Decreasd efficacy of birth control Implant

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX

Thanks for asking on XXXXXXX

Both the drugs which you mentioned in your query are metabolised liver. Nexplanon is a progesterone implant. Intake of bactrim will decrease the efficacy of this birth control implant and pregnancy can result. You will need a back up method (like barrier contraceptive) for this cycle.

Good Luck
Hope this information is helpful and informative.
If you have further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Does the generic brand of bactrim sulfameth affect the birth control implant Nexplanon? 4 hours later
hi then what is the cycle due to the fact that im on the implant? a month?

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antbiotic duration plus 7 days extra

Detailed Answer:
Hi Although you have not mentioned how much time you will be taking cotrimoxazole. The usual period of an antibiotic (like cotrimoxazole is 7-10 days). After stopping this antibiotic the significant drug concentration will remain in the body till 80-100 hours (approx 4-5 days) and can affect the mechanism of Nexplanon. Nexplanon is for 3 years. Here, for this cycle I mean to say for the duration of antibiotic intake (+ 7 days after stopping to be on safer side).

So you can plan accordingly keeping this information in your mind.

Good Luck
If you have still any further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW