Does the ast/alt ratio matter when levels are in the normal range?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Does the ast/alt ratio matter when levels are in the normal range? I had an "echogenic liver" impression "fatty liver" on ultrasound months ago.I was a heavy drinker at the time and had been for several years. At the time ast 22 and alt 18. THough ratio off, normal range, other labs normal as well. Pt time "1" I have quit drinking and excercising more. Recent labs were ast 12 & alt 8. billirubin, albumin, globulin all good. Very concerned about the 1.5 ratio and cirrohsis but my Dr. is not at all and says my liver is doing quite well.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 33 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

As long as the liver enzymes are within normal limits and the imaging does not show any features of chronic liver disease, there is no need to worry about AST/ALT ratio.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Does the ast/alt ratio matter when levels are in the normal range? 42 minutes later
What do you mean by "signs of chronic liver disease" It said the liver, spleen etc was of normal size and the only exception to the ultrasound was the echogenicity.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
If imaging had shown a shrunken liver or a liver with nodular surface, then it indicates chronic liver disease like cirrhosis. Since your scan did not show any such thing, there is no need to worry.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini