Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Does swallowing Listerine cause any problems ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2262 Questions
While using mouthwash "Listerene" I accidentally swallowed. I am an adult
5'11' 220# The quantity was less than a mouthful..
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 34 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Accidental swallowing of Listerine mouth wash in small quantities usually does not cause any problems. So do not worry.

You need to drink plenty of water to dilute the swallowed Listerine. Watch out for any problems like drowsiness, nausea and vomiting. Please do consult your doctor at the earliest if these symptoms occur.

As the Listerine contains small quantities of alcohol, it might cause some intoxication making you little drowsy. So beware about that too.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. If you have any more doubts, I am available for follow ups.

Dr. Naveen Kumar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor