Does swallowing Listerine cause any problems ?

ENT Specialist
While using mouthwash "Listerene" I accidentally swallowed. I am an adult
5'11' 220# The quantity was less than a mouthful..
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 34 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Accidental swallowing of Listerine mouth wash in small quantities usually does not cause any problems. So do not worry.

You need to drink plenty of water to dilute the swallowed Listerine. Watch out for any problems like drowsiness, nausea and vomiting. Please do consult your doctor at the earliest if these symptoms occur.

As the Listerine contains small quantities of alcohol, it might cause some intoxication making you little drowsy. So beware about that too.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. If you have any more doubts, I am available for follow ups.

Dr. Naveen Kumar