Does stopping Femodene after 18 years of usage cause depression?

feel down and out of sorts.have recently stopped taking femodene after 18 years would this be the cause or is t just coincidence.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 24 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Femodene is a combination oral contraceptive. Stopping the use of this medication is not associated with side effects like blackouts or dizziness, or falls as mentioned by you.

In case you have additional symptoms and recurrent falls, then you might need to undergo a physical examination and tests for a proper diagnosis.

In case you have additional questions, I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Does stopping Femodene after 18 years of usage cause depression? 16 hours later
can you read my question again?I never mentioned blackouts or dizziness.
The problem is feeling quite low verging on mild depression could stopping the contraceptive pill after 18 years be the reason?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 5 hours later
Hello Again,

Yes, feeling low or feeling depressed is a finding associated with stopping birth control pills.

Stopping hormonal medications - do cause hormone levels in your body to shift, which may result in symptoms such as - nausea, breast tenderness, irritability, fatigue, psychological depression, headaches, acne, irregular periods, amenorrhea (a complete absence of periods) or weight loss due to reduced water retention.

These side effects should subside as the artificial hormones in birth control pills leave your body over a period of weeks or months. Within one to three months your body will begin producing its own hormones again and hormone levels will return to normal and your symptoms will subside.

I hope this helps.