Does steroid treatment have any long-term adverse effects on brain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hi, i had some steroid treatment when iwas 14 , and would like to know what impact this had on my brain. Any long lasting impact? Any permanent effects?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted that you took steroids for about three months at the age of 14 years. I would like to reassure you that the steroid treatment would not have any long-term adverse effects on your brain. No problems with memory or other brain functions are expected due to prior steroid use in your case. So, there is no need to worry at present. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: Does steroid treatment have any long-term adverse effects on brain? 3 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I require some additional information. I read that 'grey matter' increases during puberty, as a result of pubertal hormones. So if a 14 year old took some steroids, can it not be considered this steroid contributed to increase in grey matter and as a result did have a permanent effect? Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Grey matter is the good brain, which is involved in many brain activities, such as memory, learning, language, judgement, etc. So, more grey matter is good for us. In any case, steroids do not play a significant role in formation of grey matter. So, there is no need of any concern. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Does steroid treatment have any long-term adverse effects on brain? 26 minutes later
Thanks. My concern is due to the fact i took steroids during brain developmental stage, any effects could be permanent....especially since brain cells does not get renewed. I understand that brain size stops growing at 7 or 8 years old, but internal development continues. What if the steroids i had created a 'circuit' and this circuit still exists even today? This is my concerns

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: I can understand your concern, however I would like to reassure you that steroids do not have any long lasting effects on brain development or function. So, you would not have any adverse effect now or in future because of steroids taken in the past. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Does steroid treatment have any long-term adverse effects on brain? 2 hours later
Thank you for reasurance but im still unconvinced. Why does it not have long lasting effects.....whats the explanation? Secondly, grey matter increases during puberty, indicating possible influence from pubertal hormones such as testosterone. And since anabolic steroids, which i took when 14, are like testosterone then this would contribute to grey matter increase.....this is my concern. Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Anabolic steroids are not too much like testosterone, and hence, it does not affect the grey matter significantly. In any case, if it led to increase in grey mater in your case, it is good for you. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Ok . You mentioned doesn't play significant role, but to me any role is serious especially if irreversible/permanent. Just to clarify, when steroids are taken in early adolescence (as in my case) will there be any organizational and functional effects? And if there is, how long do these effects remain ie is it permanent? Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Just to clarify, what I meant was "not significant", which means it would not lead to any perceptible difference in brain development. Also, use of steroids at the age in hour case, would have effects for about 2-3 weeks after stopping the steroids and we do not foresee any effect on the brain after that period. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)