Does smoking marijuana have any ill effect post surgical treatment of pulmonary embolism ?

HI im male 28years old i am over weight with a very good medical history pre surgery and i now have Pulmonary Embolism in my lungs i got after surgery and am on walfron a blood thinning tablets. I use to smoke both cigarettes and marijuana prior to my operation on march 21 and its been over 2 months since smoking anything but would want to know would anything bad happen if i was to smoke some marijuana tonight just this one time
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Hello Graschilla.
You are already in the process of recovery from surgery for a cancer along with post-op complications like pulmonary embolism.Taking marijuana can produce some bad effects on your body like-
1.Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute, and can increase even more if other drugs are used at the same time.
Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, it increases the risk for a heart attack by four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana, compared to the general risk of heart attack when not smoking.
2.It impairs the body's immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems and makes you more prone fro post-op infections.
3. In lungs, it causes more frequent acute chest illnesses, increased risk of lung infections and obstructed airways.
All this might further increase your complications. So, it is best to avoid it for now.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: Does smoking marijuana have any ill effect post surgical treatment of pulmonary embolism ? 1 hour later
Hi thanks for your quick response
i know its best to avoid it but
can anything bad happen if i do end up smoking it tonight in regards to my PE
can i like have a bad reaction to the smoke going into my lungs that have PE
just like if i was to ask if i was to have a cigarette tonight

what is the worst that could happen if i was to smoke tonight

Follow-up: Does smoking marijuana have any ill effect post surgical treatment of pulmonary embolism ? 19 minutes later
Just wanted to advise

this is a one off time i will be smoking and will never be smoking again after this one time
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Hello Graschilla,

Thanks for writing back.

Smoking just once might not cause much harm but it might produce a lung infection and decrease the capacity of your lung tissue further. After a pulmonary embolism, it is best to avoid it as far as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Wish you an early recovery.