Does smoking lead to raise in liver enzymes?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I'm due a dvla medical to receive my licence back, I don't drink now will be three months by the time I go to the dvla doctor, however I do smoke the ecig.. Could this keep my liver enzymes raised ? Or not affect it at all ? Thanks .. And it three months enough to get a normal reading .. I was an average drinker b4 .. Perhaps three bottles of wine a week.
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: First,smoking can affect LFT but only slightly and if your dont smoke 2-3 days before test,it should not have some significant effect on results. There are other possible causes of LFT elevation such as gallbladder disease,hepatitis, some drugs,excessive exercise and some other factors. The period required for results stabilization depends on how long and hoe excessively have you been taking alcohol and what was your initial GGT. In most cases, 3 months should be more than enough for it unless there is really serious liver damage or cirrhosis. Also, if there is only fall in LFTs, it will be proof of your abstinence. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: Does smoking lead to raise in liver enzymes? 21 hours later
I drank about three bottles of wine a week, not too excessive, so hopefully my enzymes will be normal, thank you for the reply .. I did mention its an ecig i use, would i need to still stop that, havnt smoked cigerettes for a year.. (Nicotine about 16 in strength) hopefully the other chemicals in the eliquid wont do any harm.
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: No,there are no other chemicals in ecig which my effect LFT so you expect improvements in findings. Just limit your drinks and everything will be fine. Regards