Does long term usage of nasal spray pose health problems? Having chest pain. Does consumption of sumptriptan affect blood vessels in heart?

Could long term use of Immitrex Nasal Spray 2-3 times per week pose any other health problems? I have withing the last 6 months being experiencing chest pains (starting out very strong, then stopping but startingagain with seconds but not as strong. Might get 3/4 waves per attack. I know that sumptriptan helps deflate swollen blood vessels in the head. Could it also dilate blood vessesl in my heart?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 40 minutes later
Dear patient

Thanks for your concerns.

Actually sumatriptan promotes vasoconstriction, and indeed, in patients with certain predisposition it can affect the coronary vessels of the heart and cause transient chest pain.

This is a medication that I try to discourage in my patients with heart disease, the same with nasal decongestants such as pseudoephedrine.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN