Does intake of Depakote, Zyprexa and Theralite by partner have any side effect on 6 week old pregnancy ?

Hello, I am 34 and 6 weeks pregnant. I am healthy and don't smoke or take any medications, my partner is 33 and takes Depakote, Zyprexa, and Theralite for treating bi-polar. Will the drugs he takes in any way effect my child's health? What is the precentage risk my baby will have bi-polar disorder? Would it be advisable to have an abortion at this stage? If I do have a second abortion will it effect my ability to have children in the future?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 6 hours later

The medicine which your partner is taking will have no effect on your child's health. Its only if the mother takes medicines, fetus is at risk.

Its difficult to tell the percentage risk for your baby. Bipolar disorder frequently occurs within families. Family members of patients with bipolar disorder also have a higher than average incidence of other psychiatric problems which includes schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, anxiety disorders, ADHD, and major depression. Its a familial risk. Its however not one to one relationship and not 100%. Its just an observation that bipolar disorder occurs in families.

I don't think that you should undergo abortion. The risk will remain the same even in future. And with repeated abortion, chances of pregnancy might be reduced.

So, go ahead with your pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back of you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran