Does indoor cycling cause swollen perineum and how to treat it?

swollen perineum... I have recently started indoor cycling... is this the cause?.. & what should I do?
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cycling for sure, exclude prostatis and trauma Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The most probable cause of the swelling of your perineum should be the cycling. It is however compelling to exclude causes of pain in the perineum. Acute prostatitis (prostate inflammation) is a common cause of perineal pain. Fever, pain on urination and history of previous pain before embarking on the cycling process is important. Trauma at the level of the pelvis is also a common cause to be excluded. If the above mentioned predisposing factors are absent, the most probable cause should be the cycling. The configuration of your seat should be carefully checked, and adapting or using other softening tissue to avoid excessive pressure would be most useful. I suggest you stop the cycling for a while, and in case of intense pain, take an anti inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen appropriately to reduce the swelling. Improvement would imply and proof cycling as main cause. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain