Ask a Urologist   »  

Does hydrocodone show up as oxycodone & oxymorphone on a urinalysis?

Can hydrocodone show up as oxycodone & oxymorphone on a urinalysis, without taking any oxy's? Will vitamins & over the counter products cause that to happen? These were the test levels oxycodone 352 ng/mL oxymorphone 652 ng/mL. I have read that oxymorphone can & does show up higher in some peope, after only taking oxycodone. I failed a urinalysis, after only taking my prescribed dosage of hydrocodone.
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for this query.
I am Dr. Ditah and feel particularly honored having this opportunity to address your health questions. I am so sorry to hear that you failed a urinalysis despite being on your prescribed medications for the hamstring injury.

Hydrocodone does not show up as oxycodone or oxymorphone on urine drug testing. This is typical of oxycodone ingestion. Yes, oxymorphone does shows up after consumption of oxycodone if mass spectrometry is the method used for analysis but oxycodone will not show up.

I understand how frustrating these results can be if truly you are taking just the prescribed dose of hydrocodone. I will suggest you double check with the pharmacist to make sure you were given hydrocodone and not oxycodone because the findings are too typical for oxycodone ingestion.

Some vitamins and over the counter drugs may alter the levels of this drug on testing but they cannot cause the wrong metabolites to show up that are so typical of oxycodone ingestion rather that hydrocodone ingestion.

I hope this helps and provides guidance as you look for answers to this.
I wish you a speedy recovery from the hamstring injury and good health.
Please, if you have further questions related to this query, feel free to ask them and I will be more than happy to provide answers.
Dr. Ditah, MD.