Does high levels of mercury in the body cause shyness and anxiety?

Is it possible that shyness and anxiety can be caused by high levels of mercury in the body? If so, how do I detect it?
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

Anxiety disorders may be caused by environmental factors, medical factors, genetics, brain chemistry, substance abuse, or a combination of these. It is most commonly triggered by the stress in our lives. Usually anxiety is a response to outside forces, but it is possible that we make ourselves anxious with "negative self-talk" - a habit of always telling ourselves the worst will happen.

Medical factors:
Anxiety is associated with medical factors such as . Some medically-related causes of anxiety include:

-Hormonal imbalance: specially thyroid and cortisol
-Infections: specially post viral infection period
-Several heart conditions
-Stress from a serious medical illness
-Side effects of medication
-Symptoms of a medical illness
-Lack of oxygen from emphysema, or pulmonary embolism (a blood clot in the lung)

Mercury can lead to by following mechanism: By causing anemia, stress of medical illness and symptom of medical illness. If your shyness and anxiety appeared after increase level of mercury, then it can be because of high level of mercury.

Anxiety disorder is diagnosed from detailed history taken by psychiatrist, mental status examination and laboratory test to fix cause of anxiety.

Common symptoms of anxiety are: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal