Does hernia surgery cause pinching sensation under waist?

ive been having pinching sensations under my waist a few inches away from my belly button. Its not painful but unusual. I have had a recent bout of intestinal stress too which is not uncommon. I had hernia surgery a few years back and wondered if that had any thing to do with it.
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: trauma is a possible cause Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Abnormal sensations are usually related to abnormal function or structure of the nerves in this area. This is called neuropathy. Neuropathy that does not involve the nerves of the brain or spinal cord is called peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral neuropathy can occur due to different causes but,yes, trauma due to any surgery is one possible cause. This is because surgical procedures can cause mild trauma to the nerves in the area but normally, the abnormal sensations would start within weeks or months after surgery. It would be very unusual for it to start years after the procedure. Other common cause of neuropathy are: (1) vitamin deficiency particular the b vitamins, vitamin e (2)diabetes (3)related to some types of infections such as shingles (4)toxic exposure (5)alcohol use (6)side effect of medications (7)autoimmune diseases such as lupus, RA (8)kidney disease (9)idiopathic - this means that the cause is not known If you notice any evidence of a rash along with the abnormal sensation then it is possible that it is related to shingles.There is medication that can help if it is uncomfortable. If this is not the case , and the abnormal sensation is intolerable then you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment. This would involve history and examination of the abdomen. Investigations would include blood tests such as vitamin levels, full blood count, ESR (checks for inflammation in the blood). Any further investigations would depend on these results. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Does hernia surgery cause pinching sensation under waist? 4 minutes later
Thank you. I did have a prolix injection near that site that stayed bruised for about 3 weeks. And I do have neuropathy. I'm not too worried it doesn't hurt. Just feels strange and new.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: ok Detailed Answer: HI Neuropathy can present with a lot of different sensations such as tingling, sticking, pinching, numbness, burning. If it is not currently too abnormal, you can consider just observing for any additional changes.