Does gamma gt level of 700 and drinking alcohol cause damage to my liver?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I just had a blood test for insurance my gamma gt was 700 what is the damage to my liver. I drink regularly and was taking a lot of paracetamol and codeine which I have now stopped I have also reduced alcohol intake will this help
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Reducing alcohol will definitely help you. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Your GGT is definitely very high and it is related to your alcohol intake. You also need few more investigations like routine hemogram,complete LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen. Beside GGT,estimation of bilirubin,SGOT,SGPT,Alkaline phosphatase,viral markers is also needed so that proper assessment can be done. Your problem is due to cumulative effect of alcohol,paracetamol and codeine. It is good that you have stopped taking paracetamol and codeine. It is good that you have also reduced alcohol intake but you should try to completely avoid it.It is not good for you in any way. You can overcome the addiction by strong determination.If there is any problem,you can take help from deaddiction centre. You can take tablet ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily for at least three months.It will help in regenerating liver cells.Further need to continue can be assessed after follow up reports. You should also consult Gastroenterologist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Does gamma gt level of 700 and drinking alcohol cause damage to my liver? 19 minutes later
Is this reading life threatening If I stop now you so much for your advise

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Mostly your condition is reversible . Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Before coming to any conclusion we should wait for complete LFT and whether you have any symptoms or not. Mostly your condition is reversible and you shouldn't worry. But you need medicines for liver regeneration and complete stoppage of alcohol,paracetamol and codeine. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Does gamma gt level of 700 and drinking alcohol cause damage to my liver? 3 minutes later
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: You are most welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You are most welcome. Get well soon. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX