Does fertility treatments like clomid pills cause learning disabilities in infants if taken clomid pills for pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
hi

how are you? can fertility treatments such as clomid pills cause learning disabilities such as depression in infants whose mothers took clomid pills to get pregnant? thanks

take care
bye

Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in ADHD

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 5 days later
Brief Answer:
Uncommon

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Iam fine and thank you very much for the warm greetings.

Clomid pills are given as a part of infertility treatment. It has been used regularly to treat women with ovulation problems. The pill as such is generally safe and well tolerated; the only known disadvantage is the chances of twin/multiple pregnancy. And the other fetal and newborn effects are uncommon (0.1 to 1%).

There are no reports linking learning disabilities and clomid pills. In simple terms infants who born to mothers with the use of clomid pills are unlikely to develop learning disabilities and psychiatric problems such as depression.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Does fertility treatments like clomid pills cause learning disabilities in infants if taken clomid pills for pregnancy? 14 hours later
i don't know. my mom sometimes thinks that my depression might have been caused by her infertility and clomid pills. one of her fallopian tubes is genetically closed and the other one is attached to her intestine and she wasn't getting pregnant cause her eggs used to fall into her intestine rather than her vagina and they used to get out through her urine. one gynecologist told her that she wouldn't ever be able to reproduce and she didn't wanna believe that so she changed her doctor and her second gynaecologist put her on colomid pills to excite her open ovary and make her eggs return to that fallopian tube of hers and go to her vigina instead of getting out through her urine. she ended up getting pregnant 3 times with clomid but she had misscarriages with her first two pregnancies and under her doctor's orders she waited 3 months and took one clomid tablet and she got pregnant with me but I was born with depression. she sometimes thinks that my depression may have been caused by her rare infertility disorder, her two misscarriages and the clomid pills. I've been through couple of psychiatrists but seeing them worsened my depression cause of the drugs they put me on and their behavior towards me (sometimes they criticized me).

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No scientific data to link clomid with depression.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

As such there is no scientific data linking clomid pill to depression and learning disability in children whose mothers have used this pill as a part of infertility.

Clomid stimulates ovary and helps to follicle rupture which causes ovulation by endocrine mechanism with the action at various levels.

Ovum once it is release from the ovary into abdominal cavity, it is taken by the fallopian tube into the uterus.

If the ovum is fertilized it will be attached to the wall of uterus, if not fertilized it will be excreted through the vagina along with menstruation.

There is no chance and way for the ovum to be excreted in the urine.

Depression has various causes such as genetic inheritance and environment interactions.

I advise you to consult a good psychiatrist for the evaluation and for an appropriate treatment for your problems.

Regards.

Follow-up: Does fertility treatments like clomid pills cause learning disabilities in infants if taken clomid pills for pregnancy? 8 minutes later
I don't know. according to my mom one of her fallopian tubes is genetically blocked and the other one is attached to her intestine and her egg was falling into her intestine and some how getting out through her urine or something rather than falling into her vagina and that's why she wasn't getting pregnant so her second gynaeclologist put her on clomid to stimulate her ovaries so that once the egg falls into her vagina it returns to her fallopian tube and fall into her vagina. something like this. I've been through few psychiatrists but my depression got worse rather than getting better.

she's actually not sure if it was getting out through her urine it was 31 years ago. but she remembers her gynaecologist telling her that part of her reproductive tract was attached to her intestine and the egg or the fetus or the sperm was falling into her intestine and she wasn't getting pregnant (something like that). her gynaecologist put her on clomid pills to make whatever was falling into her intestine to go back to her reproductive tract and get in her vagina. so that she gets pregnant (something like that). clomid worked but she ended up having two misscarriages on clomid and then she waited 3 months under her doctor's instructions so that her vagina gets ready and took one clomid tablet and she got pregnant on me. now at time she thinks that my depression might have been caused by the problem with her reproductive system and the clomid pills and the 2 misscarriages that she had before she got pregnant with me.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psychiatrist consultation for depression

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

The action of clomid is to stimulate the ovary, thus leading to ovulation.

The rest of the action is done by fimbriae of fallopian tubes which transport the released ovum into inside the tubes where fertilization takes place.

Clomid induced pregnancy is associated with the uncommon (0.1 to 1%) birth defects in children such as heart defects, Down syndrome, and club foot. This means that these defects are in equal in the occurrence in comparison to general population who have not used clomid.

And coming to depression, there is no proved studies and clinical trials to mention the clomid induced pregnancy as the cause or a factor.

If you don't have any concern to ask, you can close the discussion and I request you to rate my answer.

Best regards.