Does "exposed to syphilis" in blood test mean confirmation on being infected ?

Hi, I am 29 years old and I recently took a blood test and results showed that I've been exposed to sifilis? I would like to know if that means that I have it or is it possible that I don't have it?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later

Your blood test is positive for Syphilis it means you may have Syphilis.I guess you would have had the V.D.R.L test. It is a fairly reliable test, but sometimes there are false positive results, meaning people who do not have syphilis may test positive.

I recommend that you go for a more specific blood test called EIA test.If both tests are positive,it is confirmed that you are suffering from syphilis and for that you have to consult a STD specialist for treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I am available for further queries.

With regards.