Does excruciating pain in breast be due to breast cancer or injury to scar tissue?

I am 62 years old and very very active. Had breast implants 10+ years ago. For two nites now I have woken up with excruciating pain in right breast. I do drink caffeine and alcohol and do better without these. Should I worry about breast cancer or could it be an injury to scar tissue through heavy lifting of wheelbarrow? The two nites were not consecutive, but within one week period...screamed loudly both times
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Likely and injury to scar tissue Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this excruciating pains that you have experienced lately. From the information you have provided, my greatest suspicion is that this pain is probably caused by strain. This is even more likely seen the fact that you have done some heavy lifting recently. Pain associated with breast cancer is often dull at the beginning and only becomes this severe with time. The acuity of this pain makes it less likely to be so suggestive of breast cancer. However, every woman should be concerned about breast cancer. I hope you have been getting your regular mammograms and breast examination. If you have not been doing so, please consider doing it as it is the single most cost effective way of fighting this disease. I will suggest that you try some pain medications. You seem allergic to the common ones, so please talk to your doctor and get a prescription of what has been working for you. If it doesn't resolve the problem, then you would need to be evaluated fully for this pain by your primary health care doctor. I hope you find this helpful. Thank you so much for using our services. Please, feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Does excruciating pain in breast be due to breast cancer or injury to scar tissue? 1 hour later
Hopefully this is all it is....question: would muscle & scar tissue injury ONLY be this painful at night? Does not hurt too much in the daytime... Yes, you are correct..need to do regular check ups. Thank you, Dr.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possible Detailed Answer: Thanks for following up with me. When we sleep, we don't pay particular attention to parts of the body that hurt. Just rolling over at night would exert more pressure on the breasts and can provoke this pain. Consciously, this is something that cannot happen during the day. Am sure if you were to press on the breast even during the day, you would still be able to provoke that pain. Well, the fears are real and am sure with your check ups, we would be more certain on what the exact cause is. Thanks so much and I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD