Ask a Urologist   »  

Does endovascular surgery cause loss of sensation in the penis ?

I just had endovascular surgery to repair 3 abdominal aneuryms. I have buttock claudication and the inside of my left thigh is numb and I seem to have lost some sensation in my penis. I am able to get an erection and orgasm when masturbating but but seem to have lost some sensation in the glans and find it difficult with my wife. Will this disappear?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 40 minutes later

You mentioned that you have undergone Endovascular surgery for abdominal Aneurysm. You also have buttock claudication and numbness of inner aspect of left thigh and glans.

Well its sometimes observed that patient who undergo Endovacular surgery for Aortic Aneurysm can develop neurologic deficits because of involvement of the blood vessels supplying the these nerve root; especially lumbosacral nerve roots. Such symptoms usually lasts for few wee and patient gradullay recoers for them.

Since you still have claudication, there is possibility of narrowing of the Iliac Arteries and this can also contribute to problems with Erection and numbness of thughs and glans.
You should get your self evaluated for any possible blockage of the iliac vessels.
If there is no such blockage then we would say that such neurologic involvement likely occurred during the previous surgeries.

Some improvement does occurs with time but it wont be complete
You can consider Viagra (Sildenafil) for problem related to erection.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Does endovascular surgery cause loss of sensation in the penis ? 48 minutes later
I had the EVAR done 5 days ago. Dr XXXXXXX (what a coincidence?) performed an EVAR To repair 2 abdominal aneurysms and one aneurysm in my right Common Iliac artery. You think that the numbness will recede?

Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 4 hours later

You have undergone Endovascular Aneurysm Repair (EVAR) of the right common iliac artery.
Buttock claudication and problems with genital function and numbness usually arises if the XXXXXXX Iliac Artery/Arteries have been blocked. You symptoms are suggestive of blockage of XXXXXXX Iliac Artery and can be confirmed by an CT angiogram of the said vessels.

Its difficult predict how much improvement will occur with time. Our nervous system is plastic and the surrounding nerves usually take over and numbness area reduces gradually. So your thigh and Glans numbness can improve with time. This may take couple of weeks.

Wish you a healthy Life

Thanks and Regards