Does drinking green tea reduce semen count?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Hello doctor, I have a query related to consumption of green tea. Few of my collegues seems to have an understanding on Green tea that it will reduce semen count. But, I felt not. How far is this correct.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Neethu Vipin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed Below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting Healthcare magic.
Green tea is a type of tea, which is made of unfermented tea leaves. Green tea is XXXXXXX in flavonoids which are plant derived compounds that are anti-oxidants. It is the best source of Catechins. The most abundant Catechin in green tea is EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate), this plays a good role in green tea’s anti-oxidant and anti-cancer effects.
Though no clinical trials are not found in Stating Green Tea decreases Sperm Count, There are few studies which enlightens effects of green tea on sperm health.
•     Green tea has very low amounts of caffeine in it, than regular tea and coffee. Since caffeine will negatively affect the sperm health, one can switch over to green tea as a good alternative of tea and coffee.
•     Green tea aids in weight loss, thus in in improving the overall sperm quality.
•     The compound (EGCG) present in the green tea, is said to contain 200 times the amount of antioxidant level of Vitamin E. Since the vitamin E is related to sperm quality, green tea also positively linked with sperm quality.
•     Sperms are susceptible to oxidative damage. The antioxidant property of green tea will irradiate the oxidative stress.
Though there are many benefits of green tea, it’s recommended to take only 2-3 cups per day. Increased intake of green tea will hinder the absorption of folic acid into the body. So limit the intake to2-3 cups per day, without sugar and without milk to get the good results.
Neethu Vipin.