Does diabetes cause frequent urination ?

ENT Specialist
I have frequent urination every hour I am on 4mg of Glimepiride once a day. I am diabetic, What can I do ? I am diabetic at 64 years old.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 26 minutes later

Well, after reading your history, it is clear that you are diagnosed with Diabetes mellitus and you are on oral hypoglycemic drug like glimepride and for blood pressure you are taking losartan.

Now let me tell you about the cause of this condition, actually the patients of Diabetes suffer from 3 conditions as polydypsia( increased need to take water), polyphagia( increased hunger), and third is increased urination.

It is not necessary that the patient should suffer from all these at the same time. Out of these, you are having symptoms of increased urination urge.

Secondly, the drug Losartan has side effect of increasing frequency of micturition.

What you will have to do now--

1- consult a physician, your doctor may change the class of your anti-hypertensive.

2- Daily aerobic exercises, will further help to metabolize the metabolic water in the body.

3- Reduce your anxiety level.

Dont worry for this condition, just a slight change in life style( above mentioned), will help you out.

Hope this will help you, and I am ready for future follow ups if any.