Does benadryl syrup cure dry cough and throat infection?

Hello doctor, I was suffering from cold from a few days, and now it feels like the cold has subsided and I have got a throat infection. My voice has changed a bit and I have dry cough with a rough throat, will taking just a cough syrup like benadryl help.. In curing both cough and throat infection?
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Cold happens due to a viral infection. When the viral subsides, it results in greenish sputum that feels as if the infection is becoming bacterial in nature. But this greenish sputum (and voice change) usually subsides in 2 - 3 days without antibiotics. Even the resultant cough subsides in a few days. Antibiotics are needed if there is chest congestion. On examination with a stethoscope wheezing or rales are heard over the chest area. Antibiotic like amoxicillin or azithromycin may be taken. Amoxicillin has fewer side effects and can be taken in the dose of 500 mg three times a day for 3 days for mild to moderate infection. You can consult a physician for the prescription. If you think that chest congestion is not present or is not bad enough to need antibiotics, then you can take benadryl syrup before sleeping. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee