Does anxiety cause brain zaps?

Question
My wife has been going through menapaus for several years now the last week has been experiencing brain zaps and she says it feels like something is attacking her nervouse system which in turn elevates anxiety which freaks her out even more have been to er 4 times in last week she feels like she is dieing any advise?
Posted Fri, 21 Apr 2017 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

The brain zaps that she is having can be due to extreme anxiety. This may not be related to menopause. To help this problem she can take a few measures-
1. Check her caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2. Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking(if at all do).
3. Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4. Avoid any worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.

You can also discuss the problem with your GP who will help her in choosing a good antianxiety drug with low day time sedation. Consulting a neurologist for an evaluation will help.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow-up queries that you have.

Wishing her a good health.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal